- YOUR CONSENT AND RIGHT TO OPT OUT
- WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
We collect both personal information and technological information when you use our websites.
a) Information You Give Us. We collect personal information you give us, such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, payment and delivery information, what you add to wish lists or registries, survey responses, reviews or feed back, and your communications with us.
- CHILDREN'S PRIVACY.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 14.
- HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use personal information to administer and improve our relationship, including carrying out transactions or services you request, such as a purchase, refund, request or complaint, or creating a wish list or registry. We use information to understand your needs and preferences, tailor and deliver ads to you (including based on online activity), communicate with you, send you or your neighbourhood flyers after you visit one of our stores, conduct surveys and promotions, conduct research, ensure product and service quality, manage and develop our business, protect you and us from error, fraud, or illegal activity, meet our audit requirements, carry out a business transaction such as a sale or merger, comply with the law, and for other purposes you agree to.
- HOW DO WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- HOW IS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION PROTECTED?
While we use standard security techniques to help protect information collected on our websites, no security can provide absolute protection. We cannot promise the security of any information you provide to us.
- WHERE IS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION PROCESSED AND STORED? IS PERSONAL INFORMATION SENT OUTSIDE OF CANADA?
We may transfer personal information to other countries, including the United States, India, and countries in Europe. Personal Information in another country may be accessed to that jurisdiction's governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies. You understand that personal information processed or stored in the United States or otherwise outside Canada may be subject to laws that are different from those in your jurisdiction, such as personal information being subject to lawful requests by law enforcement or other government authorities.
- HOW CAN YOU ACCESS AND CORRECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
You can write to us to ask to access and correct the Personal Information we hold about you.
- WHAT ARE COOKIES, WEB BEACONS AND FLASH COOKIES, AND HOW DO WE USE THEM?
Cookies, pixel tags, browser analysis tools, server logs and web beacons are tools we use to collect information on our site. This includes information about your visit (including IP address, browser type, the site you came from, words searched, number of page views, time spent on our site, ads and products seen, clicks on advertisements, if you make a purchase after seeing or clicking an ad, if you open our email or follow our links, and which areas of our site are of greatest interest). We use this information to improve our sites, measure response to our ads, manage and remember our visitors and what information and offers you have seen, including account sign up, to allow you to set and store preferences, personalize and enhance your experience, understand what optimisations and settings users prefer, and for advertising. We work with third parties including Google, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, and YouTube for this. You can opt-out of cookies, but it may affect your experience.
- HOW THE "R" US USES YOUR INFORMATION FOR ADVERTISING?
- HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We keep your personal information as long as reasonably required to achieve the purposes for the collection (subject to rights to request deletion of the information) and for such period of time thereafter to allow the “R” Us family to respect warranty and recall requirements, meet its other legal, tax and regulatory obligations and to protect the rights of yourself, the “R” Us family and others.
- WHAT ABOUT LINKED SITES?
Our websites may link to other websites provided by other companies. We do not control and are not responsible for these websites.
- HOW TO CONTACT US.
If you have questions or concerns regarding our policies and practices, you can contact us at: email@example.com
- WEBSITE USE AGREEMENT.
The Website Use Agreement governs your use of the Website, and includes provisions disclaiming, limiting or excluding the liability of the "R" Us Family members.
PART 1- EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
You may also withdraw your consent for:
• Mail marketing, Telephone marketing and Quality control communications. You may decide that you prefer that "R" Us Family members not use your personal information to promote new and/or additional products and services which may be of interest to you and refuse that an "R" Us Family member contact you by mail or telephone for marketing purposes or by email or telephone for quality control purposes. If you with to do so, you may advise us by contacting us using the information provided in Section 13.
• Commercial Electronic Messages. You can always limit commercial electronic messages that "R" Us Family members send to you. To opt-out of commercial electronic messages, simply click the link labeled "unsubscribe" at the bottom of any commercial email that a "R" Us Family member sends to you, or follow the other instructions provided. You may also advise us by contacting us using the information provided in Section 13.
• Online Tracking and Targeted Advertising. For information on how to opt out of certain online tracking and targeted advertising, please read Section 10 and Section 11. Please note that even if you opt-out of these promotional communications, the "R" Us Family may still need to contact you with important information about a purchase made from the "R" Us Family. Once you withdraw your consent, your personal information may be retained in the "R" Us Family database to ensure that we honour your privacy requests to opt-out of certain communications and for record-keeping purposes.
a) Information You Give Us
The "R" Us Family members collect personal information (including, without limitation, names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses, payment and delivery information, registry number, Rclub #, child’s birthday and name and My Account ID, that you provide when you: (i) visit our websites and the Retail Stores; (ii) create or edit your My Account, Registries and Wish Lists; (iii) register your R Club card or otherwise participate in the R Club loyalty program; (iv) participate in a contest, sweepstakes or other promotion; (v) sign up for and/or fill out a survey or questionnaire; (vi) sign-up for email and/or SMS news and alerts (or other commercial electronic messages); (vii) contact an "R" Us Family member (by email or otherwise); (viii) contact an "R" Us Family customer service representative; (ix) otherwise interact with an "R" Us Family member; or (x) provide product reviews and/or feedback.
We may also collect purchase information, such as name, amount, quantity order and payment method to process the purchase and for purposes of understanding your interests and to make the emails we send to you more relevant to what we believe your interests are (for example, if you are interested in products for babies, or teens). If you opt out of our email messages, we will no longer advertise to you in this manner.
b) Automatic Information Collection
Each time you visit our websites, the web server automatically collects certain types of information, including your Internet service provider's address, your Internet protocol or IP address, the web page from which you navigated to our site, and the page on our site you entered, your web browser software, the language settings on your web browser, and a record of your activity while visiting our websites. We may record information to understand how users use and interact with our websites, such as collecting clicks, shopping behaviour, the location of the user, the time spent on different portions of our websites, the pages on our website you view, the categories (e.g. baby v. teen) and products you view and/or purchase. We may associate this information with one or more unique IDs (a “User ID” or “Advertising ID”).
If you provide us with your email address, we may use this information to better understand your interests, and to make the emails we send to you more relevant to what we believe your interests are (for example, if you are interested in products for babies, or teens). If you opt out of our email messages, we can no longer profile you and serve advertising in this manner.
4. Children's PrivacyOur websites and Retail Stores do not knowingly solicit or collect personal information from children under the age of 14. We encourage parents of children under the age of 14 to regularly check and monitor their children's use of e-mail and the "R" Us Family websites. If you are the parent or legal guardian of a child under 14 who has provided us with personal information, you may ask to review or delete this information.
5. How do we use your personal information?Using Your Personal Information The "R" Us Family members collect, use and disclose personal information in accordance with applicable privacy laws and regulations.
Your personal information may be used by the "R" Us Family members and their agents and service providers:
a) to administer and enhance your guest and/or customer relationship with us, including to administer accounts, maintain gift registries, Wish Lists, R Club cards and the R Club loyalty program, to book Baby Registry or other appointments with a "R" Us Family member, monitor customer refunds, facilitate deliveries, administer our customer service centre, make and receive payments, and fulfill contractual obligations;
b) to understand your needs and preferences, respond to your requests and follow-up on, respond to and settle any complaints or inquiries you may have regarding our products, stores and/or services;
c) subject to your ability to opt-out of such advertising (please refer to Section 11), to tailor offerings to you by delivering to you or allowing you to see certain advertising based on your interests, searches you perform, information you provide at the Retail Store, or your activity on our websites or other websites;
d) subject to your right to withdraw consent for such purposes, to communicate with you about products, services, special offerings and events or programs offered by the "R" Us Family members or their marketing partners that may be of interest to you. For example, if you begin a transaction on one of our websites, but do not complete it, and you have provided us with your email address, we may send you emails to remind you of your pending purchase. We may also send you email messages if you opt in to receive messages from us;
e) we may work with third parties to determine the number of individuals who visit our stores. If you have agreed that a third party may track your mobile device and associate your shopping habits with your postal code, we may choose to send all households in that postal code a flyer. As a result, you may receive a flyer in the mail after visiting one of our stores; however, we do not learn who you are from this practice. To withdraw your consent for this practice, you must change your settings in the third party app you have installed.
f) subject to your right to withdraw consent for such purposes, to conduct surveys, contests and promotions;
g) to conduct research and statistical analysis;
h) to monitor communications to ensure the consistency and quality of the products and services of the "R" Us Family and its suppliers, distributors and other third parties with whom we have a commercial relationship;
i) to manage and develop the "R" Us Family businesses and operations;
j) to detect and protect the "R" Us Family and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, theft, fraud and other illegal activity;
k) to comply with the "R" Us Family audit requirements, and to audit compliance with laws and the "R" Us Family corporate policies, procedures and contractual obligations;
l) to engage in due diligence and carry out business transactions that may involve the purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, securitization or financing involving an "R" Us Family member;
m) as permitted by, and to comply with, applicable laws and regulations; and
n) for any other purpose to which you consent.
As permitted by applicable law, we may anonymize, aggregate or otherwise strip any personal information we collect of personally identifying characteristics and may use or share that aggregated, anonymized data with third parties for additional purposes permitted by law.
"R" Us Family Representatives who require your personal information in the performance of their duties will have access to your personal information. For example "R" Us Family Representatives in the customer service department, who process online purchases and respond to customer support inquiries, may have access to purchasing history and your credit card information. If you’re on our mailing list, the R" Us Family Representatives in the sales and marketing department may have access to your contact information.
With Our Agents and/or Service Providers. "R" Us Family members may share your personal information with agents and service providers who provide services for, or administer activities on behalf of, the "R" Us Family. These services may include, authorization of credit card transactions, order fulfillment and delivery, sweepstakes, website maintenance and contests, marketing, advertising, data processing and storage, information technology and office services, auditors and professional advisors, fraud prevention services, and co-branded or joint product and service promotions. For example, if you make a purchase from us, and it needs to be delivered, we share information including your address, telephone number, contact information, and any special instructions you have provided to the delivery company. The delivery company may provide you with delivery status updates by text messages, and telephone calls.
"R" Us Family members strive to protect personal information rendered accessible to agents and service providers by undertaking due diligence on such third party and using contractual and other measures to help protect your personal information including restricting them from using your personal information in any manner other than as may be necessary to perform their mandate and/or services. We may also utilize agents and/or service providers to assist us in aggregating and anonymizing personal information. We may then share such aggregated, anonymized, information (but not personal information) with prospective marketing partners and advertisers.
To Comply with Laws and Protect Against Loss. A "R" Us Family member may also disclose your personal information including to our service providers or to law enforcement, when it determines that such disclosure is necessary to comply with applicable laws, and/or to detect and protect the "R" Us Family and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, theft, fraud and other illegal activity, to comply with the "R" Us Family audit requirements, and to audit compliance with laws and the "R" Us Family corporate policies, procedures and contractual obligations, to the extent permitted by law. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection, credit risk reduction, debt collection, insurance coverage and in the course of investigating and resolving disputes and litigation.
On Registries and Favourites and/or Wish Lists. Registries and Wish Lists are made available for viewing by others. Favourites are limited to registered users and their private accounts only. Shareable lists like Registries or Wish Lists allow others to know the items and other information you have placed on the Registry or Wish List, including your full name, and the city you provide. If you create your Registry or Wish List in a Retail Store, the information you include in the Registry or Wish List may be accessible on our websites and in Retail Stores. This may include your name, alternate name (if provided), co-registrant or gift recipient name (if provided, you must have the consent of your co-registrant or gift recipient), your city and province, the occasion date and the items you have placed on your Registry or Wish List. If you create your Registry or Wish List on our websites, your Registry or Wish List information will also be accessible at the Retail Stores.
7. How is your personal information protected and risks?The "R" Us Family members use industry-standard security techniques on our websites to help protect against the loss, unauthorized access or disclosure, misuse or alteration of information collected from you at our websites. When you access your account information or transmit personal information to our websites, that information is stored on servers that our websites have attempted to secure from unauthorized access or intrusion. "Secure Socket Layer" software encrypts personal information you transmit to our websites.
However, no security measures can provide absolute protection. We cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you provide to us. The "R" Us Family members cannot be and are not responsible for unauthorized access to information by hackers or others who have obtained such access through illegal measures.
"Phishing" is a scam designed to steal your personal information. If you receive an email that looks like it might be from a "R" Us Family member asking for your personal information, do not respond. The "R" Us Family members would not request your password, user name, credit card information, or other personal information through email.
8. Where is your personal information processed and stored? Is Personal Information sent outside of Canada?Your personal information is processed and stored at Toys "R" Us (Canada) Ltd.'s corporate headquarters located at 2777 Langstaff Road in Concord, Ontario, L4K 4M5, Canada, or at other locations, including in Canada, the United States, India and certain countries in Europe. Where personal information is stored or processed outside of Canada, it is subject to the laws of that foreign jurisdiction, and may be accessible to that jurisdiction's governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies.
By providing us with personal information, you understand and expressly agree that we may transfer it outside of Canada. If you do not agree to the transfer of your personal information outside of Canada, do not provide us with personal information.
9. How can you access and correct your personal information?Upon your written request to our Privacy Officer at Toys "R" Us (Canada) Ltd., 2777 Langstaff Road, Concord, Ontario, L4K 4M5, we will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information by an "R" Us Family member, and subject to certain exceptions permitted by law, we will give you a reasonable opportunity to review and request correction of your personal information collected by the applicable "R" Us Family member. To help protect against fraudulent requests for access to your personal information, we may ask you for information to allow us to confirm that the person making the request is you or is authorized to access your information before granting access. For example, we may require you to verify your identity before you access your personal information.
You can adjust your communications preferences in the "Your Account" section of our websites or contact us to ask for assistance on how you may update, change or correct your information.
10. What are cookies, web beacons and Flash Cookies, and how do we use them?When you visit our websites, the "R" Us Family collects certain information by automated means, using technologies such as cookies, pixel tags, browser analysis tools, server logs and web beacons.
Information collected by Cookies and Other Technologies
Pixel tags and web beacons are tiny graphic images placed on our website pages or in our emails that allow "R" Us Family members to determine whether you have performed a specific action. For example, when you access these pages or open or click an email, the pixel tags and web beacons inform us of that action.
A Flash cookie is a small data file placed on a computer or device using Adobe® Flash® or a similar technology that may be built into your computer or device or downloaded or installed by you to your computer or device. They help "R" Us Family members improve our websites by measuring which areas are of greatest interest to customers. Flash cookies are different from browser cookies and are managed through a different interface than the one provided by your web browser. Click HERE to learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies. If you disable Flash cookies, please be aware that you may not have access to certain feature and services.
Why we use these Technologies
• to measure the use of our websites and to improve the functionality and content of our websites,
• to measure response to our communications and improve our website pages and promotions,
• for the management of the account signup process and general administration, including to remember if you have logged in, so you do not have to log in every time you visit a new page,
• to remember if you are already registered for our newsletter, or have viewed a particular offer, and whether to show certain notifications which might only be valid to subscribed/unsubscribed users,
• to ensure that your order is remembered between pages so that we can process it properly,
• to remember your user details for future correspondence, and to remember your preference settings,
• to track and understand how our website is used, so we can improve it and its content,
• to use Flash Cookies (also known as Local Stored Objects) and similar technologies to personalize and enhance your online experience, facilitate processes and personalize and store your settings,
• to better understand which Website optimisations and settings our users appreciate the most,
• for Advertising as described in Section 11.
These cookies and related technologies may be placed by us, or by third parties we work with for these purposes. For example, we work with:
• Google Analytics which is a widespread analytics solution that helps us to understand how you use the site and ways that we can improve your experience. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site and the pages that you visit so we can continue to produce engaging content. For more information on Google Analytics cookies, see the official Google Analytics page. Google offers an opt-out mechanism here Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on and offers the ability to alter your ad settings here Google Ad Settings.
• Facebook, which provides an ability to opt-out of certain targeted advertising at Facebook Ad Settings.
• Pinterest, which provides information on opting-out of certain targeted advertising at Personalized ads on Pinterest. and Personalization and data.
• Instagram, which provides information on opting-out of certain targeted advertising at Instagram Ad Settings.
• Twitter, which provides information on opting-out of certain targeted advertising at Twitter Ad Settings.
• Snapchat, which provides information on opting-out of certain targeted advertising at Snapchat Ad Settings.
• YouTube, which provides information on opting-out of certain targeted advertising at YouTube Ad Settings.
• We also use social media buttons and/or plugins on this site that allow you to connect with your social network in various ways. For these to work the following social media sites including; Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Snapchat, and YouTube, which may set cookies through our site which may be used to enhance your profile on their site or contribute to the data they hold for various purposes outlined in their respective privacy policies.
Opting Out of Cookies In many cases, you can manage cookie preferences and opt-out of having cookies and other data collection technologies used by adjusting the settings on your browser. You may also opt-out of certain technologies we use for advertising as explained in section 11 below. All browsers are different, so visit the "help" section of your browser to learn about cookie preferences and other privacy settings that may be available.
Be aware that disabling cookies will affect the functionality of this and many other websites that you visit. If you refuse to accept cookies, you may not be able to participate in certain activities, view certain presentations or use certain features on our websites.
11. How the "R" Us Family uses your information for advertising"R" Us family members allow third parties to place cookies on the browsers of visitors to their websites for purposes of delivering advertising based on preferences or interests known or inferred from the data collected for advertising purposes (often referred to as Online Behavioural Advertising or OBA). We also use this information to assess the effectiveness of our advertisements, for example, by determining if users who view our advertisements are more likely to make a purchase. We may also use other as data collection software, such as tags, pixels, web beacons, clear GIFs for this purpose. "R" Us Family members also advertise their products and/or services on third party websites based on your visit to our websites. For example, if you visit our websites, you may see advertisements for our products and/or services on other third party sites, or on other portions of our own websites.
We may also match the Personal Information we hold with the information of third parties such as a website or social media platform, including Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Snapchat, and YouTube, to better serve you with advertising we think may be of interest to you, or to prevent you from seeing our advertisements too often (“Custom Audiences”). We may also share Personal Information to serve advertising to persons we or our suppliers think may be similar to you (“Look Alike Modeling”). To opt-out of these practices, you may alter your settings on the social media platforms you use (please see the links we provide below), or you may contact us using the information in Section 13.
We may collect and use information including your assigned User ID or Advertising ID (see Automatic Information Collection above) to determine that two or more browsers and/or applications/devices, are used, or are likely used, by the same user (“Cross-Device Linking”). For example, we may associate the data on your use of your laptop with your use of your mobile phone or other devices you use, so that we can better serve advertising on both your laptop and mobile phone, and better assess the effectiveness of our advertisements. If you opt out of Google Analytics, you will also opt-out of our use of Cross Device Linking. Please note that you must opt out on each device you wish to opt-out in respect of. Google offers an opt-out mechanism here Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on
You can opt out of certain targeted advertising by third party providers by using the links below:
- Facebook: Facebook Ad Settings
- Pinterest: Personalized ads on Pinterest and Personalization and data
- Instagram: Instagram Ad Settings
- Twitter: Twitter Ad Settings
- Snapchat: Snapchat Ad Settings
- YouTube: YouTube Ad Settings
- Google: The Google AdSense service we use to serve advertising uses a DoubleClick cookie to serve more relevant ads across the web and limit the number of times that a given ad is shown to you. For more information including the opt-out tools offered by Google, visit Google Ad Settings
You can also generally opt-out of receiving personalized ads from third party advertisers and ad networks who are members of the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada ("DAAC"). Please visit the DAAC opt-out page DAAC Ad Opt Out for more information.
12. how long do we keep your personal information?We keep your personal information as long as reasonably required to achieve the purposes for the collection (subject to rights to request deletion of the information) and for such period of time thereafter to allow the “R” Us family to respect warranty and recall requirements, meet its other legal, tax and regulatory obligations and to protect the rights of yourself, the “R” Us family and others.
14. HOW TO CONTACT US and exercise your rightsIf you have questions or concerns regarding policies and practices of "R"Us Family members and/or their service providers in respect of the collection, storage, use and disclosure of personal information or exercise any of your privacy rights, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, write to our Privacy Officer at Toys "R" Us (Canada) Ltd., 2777 Langstaff Road, Concord, Ontario, L4K 4M5.